- 4 large Egg whites
- ½ teaspoon Cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon Sea salt
- ¾ cup (150 g) C&H® Granulated Sugar Easy Baking Tub
- ¼ cup (35 g) C&H® Powdered Sugar
- ¾ cup (168 g) Fresh blood orange juice
- 1/3 cup (67 g) C&H® Granulated Sugar Easy Baking Tub
- 2 tablespoons Blood orange zest
- ¼ cup (35 g) C&H® Powdered Sugar
- 4 large Egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons (85 g) Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (237 ml) Heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon C&H® Powdered Sugar
- Blackberries (optional)
For the Meringues
For the Blood Orange Curd
For the Whipped Cream
Preheat oven to 200 F (93 C). Cover several baking sheets with parchment paper.
Make the Meringues:
In an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt. Make sure the bowl and whisk are freshly cleaned and dried. Whisk on medium until the eggs are frothy and then slowly add in C&H® Granulated Sugar Easy Baking Tub, 1 tablespoon at a time. Really take your time here so that the sugar has time to dissolve; this should take about 5 minutes. When all of the sugar is in, turn the mixer on high and just before you reach stiff peaks, dump in the C&H® Powdered Sugar. Run the mixer on low to combine and then increase to high until you reach stiff peaks again, which should take less than a minute depending on the speed of your mixer. The meringue will look glossy and hold its shape when you invert the whisk. The tip of the inverted meringue will be just shy of 12 o’clock. It should also feel smooth when you rub some between your fingers.
Divide the meringue into 6 mounds on the prepared baking sheet(s). Leave 1- to 2-inches of space between each meringue so that the heat can evenly circulate around them in the oven.
Bake in the center of the oven for 2 hours. Check at some point between 1 and 1 1⁄2 hours to make sure the meringues aren’t browning and are still white. If they’re browning, turn off the oven. Let the meringues cool completely inside the oven. This should take several hours.
To a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan, add the blood orange juice. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer over medium heat for about 5 to 7 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the C&H® Granulated Sugar Easy Baking Tub and zest and massage the zest into the sugar (we’re infusing flavor here!) and then add to the blood orange juice, whisking until well blended. Whisk in C&H® Powdered Sugar and egg yolks until smooth. Place over medium heat and whisk until the curd has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 5-ish minutes. Press through a fine-mesh sieve into a heat-safe container, stir in the butter until melted and immediately cover the surface directly with plastic wrap. Stash in the fridge to cool completely; it will thicken as it cools.
Make whipped cream:
Place the cold, heavy whipping cream in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on medium until soft peaks form. Sprinkle C&H® Powdered Sugar over the top and whisk until soft peaks return, taking care not to overbeat the cream.
To serve, dollop the whipped cream over the top of the meringue, top with the curd, garnish with berries (if you’re feeling it) and serve!
- The curd can be made up to one week ahead of time. Store in the fridge in a lidded container.
- The meringues can be made the night before serving. I keep mine stashed in the turned-off oven until ready to use. If it’s especially humid in your neck of the woods, they may need to be re-crisped in the oven. Place them in the same temperature oven that they baked in for about 20 minutes. Additionally, if it is quite humid, they may need a longer initial bake time (just make sure they don’t take on any extra color).
- Whipped cream should be made just prior to serving
Rebecca is a food writer, photographer and creator of the sweet-focused blog, Displaced Housewife, your go-to cookie source and new best friend. By pairing authenticity with talent, Rebecca has created a space for quick, easy and delicious recipes anyone can prepare and enjoy.
Sign up to receive new recipe inspiration, product information, special offers, and more.