Express Yourself Deliciously
One of the best things about cooking and baking is bringing a little bit of yourself to your creations. And even though flan is known for specific flavors, it’s also a canvas you can experiment with and make your very own.
The Wonderful World Of Flan
Though flan is most often associated with Spain and Latin America, this creamy, custardy, caramel-topped delight can be found all over the world. And because you can make it small and personalized, it’s the perfect dish to customize for yourself and lucky friends.
1. The Basics of Flan
There can be slight variations in a standard flan, but it tends to have the same ingredients, a light and creamy custard consistency, and it’s always topped with an irresistibly sweet caramel sauce.
- The standard recipe for flan consists of sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, milk, and white sugar, with many recipes also calling for cream cheese.
- The consistency of flan is very smooth and creamy with a sweet, milky flavor. It’s also topped with a thin caramel sauce, made by carefully melting granulated sugar until golden brown.
- Flan is cooked upside down, with the caramel sauce going into the baking dish first, then the custard mixture on top. It’s then baked with a water bath to ensure the perfect consistency. After baking, it’s flipped upside down onto a plate to serve.
- Though flan is enjoyed year-round, it’s also known as a festive and celebratory dish, served for holidays and any special occasion.
2. Customize Your Flan
A basic flan is simple and endlessly enjoyable, but you can also personalize it to any taste. Experiment with whatever ingredients you or your guests are craving. Below are just a few ways you can break free from the mold.
- Topping your flan with fresh fruit is an easy way to add a personal touch. Not only is it delicious, but it brings different textures to this smooth dessert.
- Chocoflan is a famous variation that adds a layer of moist chocolate cake under the typical custard layer. It tastes amazing and the impressive looks will wow your guests.
- Adding purees like mashed sweet potatoes and pumpkin to the custard before baking is a great way to fold in subtle flavors while keeping the smooth consistency flan is famous for.
- To give your flan a bit of a kick, liquor can be added in small amounts. Rum, Grand Marnier, and bourbon are great because they’re already a little sweet and complement everything else nicely.
- Caffeine fans can mix in instant coffee or espresso to the custard just in case they need an excuse to enjoy flan first thing in the morning.
- Experiment with different molds to add pizzazz to your flans. Fun, unique shapes can add some visual flair, while smaller molds will make your guests feel special, as if their flan was made just for them.
3. Coconut Cheese Flan From C&H® Sugar
You didn’t think we were going to talk about flan and not share a recipe, did you? Our tasty take brings a tropical touch to the table while staying true to this dessert’s roots.
This recipe for Coconut Cheese Flan gives you double the coconut by replacing condensed milk with coconut milk and adding shredded coconut as a garnish. And a touch of rum flavor gives it some island flair.
This recipe along with the unique personalization ideas are just jumping off points for this infinitely customizable dessert. Experiment with your own flavors and textures to create something no one’s ever tried before. And when you use C&H® Sugar for your flan, it’s always the Recipe for Happiness.
Enjoy Our Collection of our Favorite Desserts
Molten Lava Cakes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Creamy Chocolate Flan
Prep Time: 5 minute
Frosted Donut Cake
Prep Time: 25 minute
Banana Oat Snacking Bars
Prep Time: 10 minute
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 2 1/2 hours
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Hot Cocoa Cake with Marshmallow Buttercream
Prep Time: 30 minute
Prep Time: 20 minute
C&H Recipe Book
Sign-up to download our 10 best recipes for happiness along with more recipe inspiration, baking tips, giveaways, and more.